+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need help with DBW cruise control

Need help with DBW cruise control

I'm buttoning up the last bits on my swap and I can't get the cruise to work...I have an 04 avalanche 5.3 and swapped it in a 93 obs..I used the existing wires that came in the plug from the obs cruise box. I used a relay with the 12v positive signal coming from the brake engaged switch and the other to ground. The wires I'm connecting with the relay is the on switch from the obs plug. I also hooked up the blue and green set and resume switches to the new harness. I can hear the relay working when I hit the brake, but I can't get a set signal to go through...any ideas is appreciated.
    -Slow Is Not An Option-

93 Stepside - Forged 347 - LS6 intake - Stage II LS6 Heads - MTI X1 Cam - Vigilante 2800 Stall - HP Tuners - Schoenfeld Headers - 4.11's w/Powertrax - Caltrac's - 430/400
    02 Trans Am - Forged 408 - Single Plane GMPP - 96lb/hr Injectors - HPT 3 Bar - Twin 67mm Turbonetics - Huge FMIC - Moser 9" - 4L80E - Alky Control Meth - Jesel J2K - Eboost2 - waiting dyno

A DBW doesn't have a cruise module. The PCM controls the cruise via the electric throttle blade. We need to make sure your old switch wiring is cut and installed to the PCM and/or TACM as inputs. I'll look at the wiring between the two trucks later tonight or tomorrow. Make sure the cruise is enabled in the tune in the mean time.

Gotcha...I did realize that there was no module on the DBW setup for the cruise, but i was just wondering if there was something I missed.

I didn't know about enabling cruise in the tune however. I use HP tuners myself and have tuned the truck and just must have never noticed the option. I'll check it out and give it another try.

Thanks,

Cody B.
    -Slow Is Not An Option-

93 Stepside - Forged 347 - LS6 intake - Stage II LS6 Heads - MTI X1 Cam - Vigilante 2800 Stall - HP Tuners - Schoenfeld Headers - 4.11's w/Powertrax - Caltrac's - 430/400
    02 Trans Am - Forged 408 - Single Plane GMPP - 96lb/hr Injectors - HPT 3 Bar - Twin 67mm Turbonetics - Huge FMIC - Moser 9" - 4L80E - Alky Control Meth - Jesel J2K - Eboost2 - waiting dyno

I'm not sure there is an option....just something to look for. I'll have to check the schematics tomorrow....need some sleep you know.

You need hot in start/run to the TACM connector C1 terminal 7 (pink in the 04 harness).

You need hot with brake applied (but cold without brake applied) to C1 terminal 6 (light blue in the 04 harness).

You need hot at C1 terminal 14 (grey in the 04 harness) with the cruise on/off switch in the on position only (key in run position).

You need hot at C1 terminal 4 (dark blue in the 04 harness) witht the set/coast button engaged (key in run position).

You need hot at C1 terminal 5 (grey and black in the 04 harness) with the resume/accel engaged (key in run position).

That's all you need. Now let's find how to get those....

The easiest way for me (LOL) to help you is for you to use a test light under the above conditions and find all the wires from the stock 93 plug and attach them to the TACM where indicated.

If that doesn't work, I could find the callouts in the 93 harness for you but that's a lot of work because I'll have to go find a book (electrical schematics, etc. are not online in GM's site before 1998).

Let us know how it goes...

this is my next step also. I did the 03 swap in a 96 and I would think you would connect the wires needed from the obs plug to whatever wires in the dbw to tac module. I'm trying to find a pin out of the 96 plug in to cruise control and pin out of the 03 tac module.
    1996 GMC extended cab, 2003 5.3/auto

You're probably half way there then, huh?

Ahh....GG, thanks for the info...The wires I was tapping into were from the PCM and the main harness. I didn't mess with the wires from the TAC module. I'm pretty handy with the multimeter, so I'll have to try out your tips and let you know how it rolls

I have all of the info on the 93 pinout, so I have all my cruise wires labeled and know what is what. I'll just have to hold my mouth right when hooking up the wires to the TACM and hope it works!

Thanks again,

Cody B.
    -Slow Is Not An Option-

Oh...one more thing....are you suggesting that I just tap into those wires and feed another signal or replace the inputs to those terminals with the ones from the 93?
    -Slow Is Not An Option-

The only circuit that shows an indirect path (another wire teeing off to somewhere else) is the light blue stop fuse powered wire to TACM C1-6. On the 04 diagram, it comes out of the underhood fuse panel AFTER the tee so I might splice that one in. The others are directly from the source (C1-7 hot, C1 14, 4, and 5 from the cruise switch).

Does that make sense?

+ Reply to Thread