+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New from Kansas City

New from Kansas City

Just checkin in. My ride is an 03 1500 ext cab 4x4 with a bone stock 5.3. I plan on doing alot to this engine and i'd like to start with heads and a cam, however not sure what heads/cam combo would be best. I basically want to make it a street sleeper to shut all my idiot friends with imports up.

Your best option would be to know what you want your end result to be (1/4 mile time desired, hp desired, etc.), how much money you have to spend, etc. Example, if you have $500 to spend but might have $500 in another 3 months, it gives us a direction of how to get you to where you want to go.

That being said, your first step should be a custom tune.

definately quarter mile, and im kinda on a budget for now but for the time being i have a grand to play around with

If it were me, I would get the tune (Nelson Performance - Performance without Sacrificing Drivability). I would use the remainder to buy a cam, springs, and pushrods. Install them when you have more money.

id buy a turbo.....lol.... you can find sts kits for cheap used. just a thought. welcome
    single digit street truck

for build info

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...cs-garage.html

The best advice I have ever heard:... Only take B( . Y . )ST advice from someone that is CURRENTLY running a turbo setup close to, or bigger than what you want......

Yeah but he would need another few thousand...gotta buy the turbo kit, have it installed, have it tuned...

Even if I did get the turbo wouldn't I have to build the motor so I don't blow the hell out of it?

I guess I could just run it at like 4 or 5 psi couldn't I?

These engines can hold up to a lot. The BEST way to do it is to build the bottom end. That's why I asked what kind of cash you had/will have to throw at it.

You guys and your ultra high HP engines

First thing first, gotta get the power to hook to the ground. If you don't have a posi, get one. If you don't have a converter, get one about 3000 rpm from a VERY good builder, billet with anti-balloon plate. Build engine HP next. What good does it do to have 500 HP and sit at the light smoking your tires?
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

+ Reply to Thread