+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cutouts and x-pipe

cutouts and x-pipe

With my current setup I have a 3" cutout welded in before the muffler with the factory y-pipe. When I get my LT's I want to run true dual, and I've been told to put and x-pipe in to gain back the lost lowend torque. I want to run cutouts with the new exhaust too, so my question is...do i put the cutouts before or after the x-pipe? What size pipe should I use off the headers also?
    Mike
    2000 RCSB
    '05 LS2 11.5:1 C.R. l K&N l LT's l Torquer V2 l PAC Springs l Manley 7.4's l 92mm TB l LS7 Lifters l Circle-D 3200 l P&P TB l ARP Rod Bolts l LS1 E-fans l Nelson 93 Tune l Brand-X 100 Shot l Walbro 255 l Duals w/ X and Magnapacks l Vette Servo l Transgo S.K. l 30K Cooler l Detroit Tru-Trac l Motive 4.30's l ARP Cap Studs l TA Girdle

you think about running a cross over muffler like from magnaflow? i used to run the X pipe until i decided to run the muffler.. are you 3 in pipe from manifold all the way back, i found out this took alot of low end tq from the 5.3 i used to have ...
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

Well, most of your power is going to be made in the lt's - Id run a matching size pipe from the lt's or the x-pipe, whatever size you decide to use, but wouldnt go bigger than 2.5" - I think youll see a big loss of lowe end tq. Then go bigger on the tips if you want.

Also, if your running an X-pipe it will not be true duals. True duals run individually from each header/manifold so there is no cross flow or meeting of flow as with an x or y pipe.

For the cut outs, I would run them where they will most practically fit - if its true duals (no x-pipe) anywhere before the mufflers thats practical. If your running an x-pipe, after the pipe may keep a bit more of the low end torque, and should be almost if not just as loud as before...though you may find depending on where everything lines up, that there not practical there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ff_jeff View Post
    Ill grab some ditch to get a cat...
    03 Silverado ECSB - SOLD
    06 CCSB Duramax - 12 second tow pig

I've got my cutouts right after my y-pipe. When open, I loose a little low end, but I pick up power on the upper end. I wouldn't go 3'' true duals. On a 5.3L, I would go 2.5'' true duals...the x-pipe will negate the true dual setup, and the crossover should make it sounds a little crisper...an H-pipe can be also used, and it will make it sound a lot more throaty... An x-pipe is more of a performance crossover than an H-pipe.

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

An X probably works a lot better in the application than "true duals". Put the non-performance enhancing cut out before the X for "better" sound or after it for "better" performance. Maybe save the cash and use it for something else.

You guys all make good points..haha and I feel like a huge douche, I hadn't thought of "true" duals when I was thinking about the x-pipe. I didn't even think about ti not being true because of it being in there. I'm going to have 2.5" coming off the headers to the x, then two 2.5" cutouts followed by two borla mufflers (my buddy has that I'm trying to buy out of him), then I already got the dual tails out the back with 3.5" rolled stainless tips. Thanks for all the input, and if anybody comes up with a better idea just throw it at me!
    Mike
    2000 RCSB
    '05 LS2 11.5:1 C.R. l K&N l LT's l Torquer V2 l PAC Springs l Manley 7.4's l 92mm TB l LS7 Lifters l Circle-D 3200 l P&P TB l ARP Rod Bolts l LS1 E-fans l Nelson 93 Tune l Brand-X 100 Shot l Walbro 255 l Duals w/ X and Magnapacks l Vette Servo l Transgo S.K. l 30K Cooler l Detroit Tru-Trac l Motive 4.30's l ARP Cap Studs l TA Girdle

+ Reply to Thread