+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sound Deadening in The Z

no doubt. Guy has never steered me wrong though. Really the whole SSA Forum has brought my listening standards way up.

MKader17

Never got into it that deep, I would rather go fast instead.
    Tired ol' 5.7, 5.3 swap in progress
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

So Around how much u spend?

2008 GMC Sierra 5.3
    RCSB

K&N Intake,Flomaster Dump,3.73,g80

Comming soon :Cam ,Nelson Tune, LT Headers and the works.

i did the same thing to my truck, not that detailed though. i never took the headliner out. i used bri roofing material on the floor, its about 1/4 inch thick, and the same kinda stick on aluminum backed rubber for the walls, i got a 100 foot roll for 15.00 and the thick stuff i had left over from a job. it looks like you got the aluminum roof stuff too? it never comes off thats for sure.

as far as sound i had several variations of subs in the rear before i found some that wouldnt fry from all the power i had in there. i think i ended up with a dual 12" subs in a bandpass box which was too big but man it was powerful. i think it was at least 2000 watts total system and at that level it was perfectly clear as far as distortion. as far as outside noise it was really amazing, at full volume levels it sounded like a stock stereo jamming loud outside. the low freq bass signal was completely kept in.

i never wanted to be annoying to other drivers or show off but i wanted to have great sound quality reproduction at a level where i wouldnt want it any louder, at the time with pantera, metallica, sepultra and all the other music i was into i liked it really loud.

BTW, your friend is a hottie
    1996 gmc ext cab short bed
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

Did some digging around on prices. I got 5 Gallons of spectrum for $160 shipped (which was a great price). I got 1 quart for free ($10 Shipping). I think I got 2.5 Rolls of Raam Mat, Yards on Ensolite and 2 Adhesive cans (for the ensolite) for $375ish. So all in all about $550 in Deadening materials.

MKader17

yeah if you go to a roofing supplier you would find the same materials, (labeled differently) for a really cheap price.
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

Its not the same, type of materials differs greatly...
    Tired ol' 5.7, 5.3 swap in progress
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

Most definitely not the same material. The roofing that you are talking about is an asphalt based compound. Common problems with it are adhesion and smell in hot months. I used this on my 90 model silverado with good results though because I was being very cheap.

The Rammat is a Butyl based deadener. Adhesive properties with it are much better and it withstand much more heat. Unlike asphalt which is only a mass loading deadener butyl has viscoelestic properties which actually convert sound waves in to miniscule amounts of heat. This is in an addition to the mass loading qualities.

I have heard many people say that dollar for dollar butyl based deadeners are better than asphalt deadeners, and that they would rather use less Butyl based deadener over more asphalt based deadener because it will produce better results.

MKader17

i did dynamat in my cc doors and backwall. made a big diff. have yet to tackle the floor and headliner. i give you props, lots of work.....
    2005 crew cab, new crate lq9 with comp 212/218, 558/563 on 115 cam, 80mm t.b. coated long tubes, off road y, flowmaster cat back, dynomax bullet, ngk plugs, msd wires, k&n cold air kit, 4.10 gears, auburn pro lsd, transgo shift kit, nelson drive tune, trailblazer i-6 torque convertor, anzo lamps, ss front bumper, z71 tahoe rear bumper, debadged, kenwood touchscreen with headrest monitors, JL components, coaxials, sub, 5ch amp. bell tech 2/4 drop. 22x10 ss wheels with 285/35/22 bfgs.

yeah i know they arent exactly the same but the difference really wasnt worth the $$ to me. the smell of the rubber went away after a few weeks and never came back. its been years now and no problems with any adhesion. I know the floor stuff i used is like 1/4" thick so that really made a difference.

i didnt do nearly as nice of job as you did and at one time i had 3 x 12" in it testing them and with the doors and windows shut you would never know it was more than a stock stereo. killed the bass almost completely outside the truck.
    so it got the job done anyways. i cant wait to hear about the results from the job you did, gonna be like a casket i bet.
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

+ Reply to Thread