+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Choosing the right extinguisher

ff_jeff Guest

Choosing the right extinguisher

When you choose a fire extinguisher, you need to keep in mind what it will be used for. Or what it might need to be used for. It can be a life threatening mistake to use the wrong extinguisher on the wrong fire.
    Here is the list of different extinguisher classes.
    Class A fires - the most common type, are ordinary combustibles such as wood, paper, cloth, rubber and many plastics.
    Class B fires - flammable liquids, gases and greases.
    Class C fires - energized electrical equipment or wiring where the electric non-conductivity of the extinguishing agent is important. However, when the equipment or wiring is de-energized, remaining combustion is Class A or B and extinguishers for those fires may be safely used.
    Class D fires - combustible metals such as magnesium, titanium, zirconium, sodium and potassium. Class D fires are very uncommon. I have only seen 1 in about 100 fires. It was a old VW and the motors are magnesium. Burning magnesium and water = a hell of a fire works display. You may find trace amounts in the doors and steering columns.
    Class A is a water extinguisher. They will be in a silver can. and are easy to recharge. Don't use water on electrical, gasoline, grease, or metal fires. serious injury or death may result.
    Class B is a Liquid-grease extinguisher. You wont see allot of these because ABC works just as good and works on more fires.
    Class C is a electrical equipment extinguisher. Once again Not commonly seen because ABC's are used for most fires.
    Class D is a very expensive metal extinguisher. when you need it though, nothing is better.
    If you need one for your vehicle, the best thing to get is a ABC extinguisher.
    They will put out almost any fire you will commonly see. Everything from wood to electrical fires. On gasoline fires on a flat surface remember '' BACK AND FORTH QUICK. '' You have to paint off the fire quickly so it doesn't go around the spray and reignite the gasoline.
    Here is how not to put out a gasoline fire. He didn't follow directions. YouTube - fire
    Here is the right way... if you do it right it should only take about 2-4 seconds to put out. YouTube - fire Don't put your life at risk for a vehicle. Our motto is '' Risk little to save a little, Risk allot to save allot. '' A vehicle is considered a little. A life is allot.
    enjoy
    Last edited by ff_jeff; 01-19-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Now I know my ABC's next time wont you sing with me, lol jk. nice post Jeff. this is something everyone should know when dealing with there high power trucks

I need to replace the one I have strapped to the pillar... lol
    1951 3100
    1984 C10

Won't most extinguishers work on a vehicle electrical fire though? I mean 12v is a little different than 120v.

ff_jeff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    Won't most extinguishers work on a vehicle electrical fire though? I mean 12v is a little different than 120v.
    An electrical fire is an electrical fire... as long as it is a class C extinguisher, it will work fine. We use water as firefighters, because we have big ass hoses flowing 140gpm+/-. But we don't get out the big hoses unless the car is an inferno. The reason why you want an ABC extinguisher on a car fire is because you can put out Gasoline, plastic, rubber, electrical, and pretty much whatever is burning in the vehicle. ABC's also don't splash like water and foam do. you hit the battery, or a puddle of fuel with foam you could splash it all over the place, making things allot worse. I good scenario is your truck. Say your battery catches fire for whatever reason. your gas tank is right there next to it. If you spray it with a dry chem(abc) it coats it with a powder and out goes any fire. With water or foam you could assist the fire spread to the fuel tank. Also after the fire is over and not allot of damage has been done... most dry chem will blow off with an air hose.

Good informative post, thanks!
    At the shop we machine and weld magnesium quit a bit, it can be really scary stuff if you dont have the right extinguisher to put it out!!
    And in a controlled environment it can be fun also!
    '01 ECSB Red 2wd
    7" lift on 17" Eagles and 35" Pro Comps pc'd satin black
    de-badged, smoked tails, grille inserts
    5.3, 91 tuned, cold air,TB spacer, Thorley LT headers, 3" Flowmaster
    4.56 gears, posi-trac
    And more to come

ff_jeff Guest
    Everyone should have one IN their vehicle always!!!

Good info.

What about halon or whatever it's called now halotron??? Are these good for vehicles????

txstvanwilder: but i got lube so i didnt complain
    mean05: he told me a price and i bent over and lubed up
    truckinL33: 6'' is not enough, and 12'' is too much
    pcmcobra: don't drink and bid on egay...lol
    408.Luke: lol im not blowing im investing

ff_jeff Guest
    They seem promising. But I cant vouch for them because they are new. IMO stick with ABC until they are on the market a little longer, and get used more and more.

+ Reply to Thread