+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery Relocate - The Beauty of Optima

Battery Relocate - The Beauty of Optima

So as some of you may know I relocated the battery to where the spare tire typically goes. I used a Taylor relocation kit with 1 gauge wire. The initial install looked like this:

The problem was I would have to fasten the terminals to the battery, sit it on the bottom tray, lay under the truck, lift the whole thing up and try to hold it while I put the aluminum angle pieces on, then the washers, lock washers, then the nuts. Problem was it was a side mount battery and if the terminals touched the box it would arc all over the place. There were some other issues that I'm too tired to get into, but long story short the positive terminal broke in half the other day in traffic and everything just died. So there I am under a lowered truck trying to drop the battery box, stuffs arcing everywhere, I'm on Haskell Ave. (not exactly the nice part of town), homeless people are literally asking me for money while I was under the truck in 100 degree heat screwing with a broken down truck.

Anyway, I found a one week old Optima Yellow Top on Craigslist for $140. Awesome battery - can be mounted in any position. Worked perfectly for my setup. Now I can install it upside down so I can remove the cover and easily access the terminals without dropping the battery. I know there are other ways to go about this, but this worked pretty nice for me...

I know it's okay to do with an optima but....that just doesn't look right
    30' Ford Model A Tudor Sedan - Custom chassis - Big bore LS2 - twin B76's - Glide - 9" w/ 3.07 gears - 30" DR tire - 2k lbs cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by DBTBSS View Post
    I know it's okay to do with an optima but....that just doesn't look right
    Word, it hangs down too far. Tuck it alittle more and it will be pretty badazz.
    Tired ol' 5.7, 5.3 swap in progress
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

I think he meant because it's upside down...but thanks.

I plan on having it powdercoated black which will make it blend a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
    I think he meant because it's upside down...but thanks.

I plan on having it powdercoated black which will make it blend a whole lot better.
    Yep that'll work too... And when I think about it it's prolly not going to be that noticeable from eye level.
    Tired ol' 5.7, 5.3 swap in progress
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    If you can't eat it or hump it.
    Piss on it and walk away.

DBYRD Guest
    hell id undercoat it or have daniel spray the box with bedliner. that'd help it blend in and make it wear resistant to like rocks and stuff. looks good tho!

nice work man, i would just paint it if anything. if you powder coat it you wont be able to repair the chips from stones and stuff. and it will see them under there im sure.
    1996 gmc ext cab short bed
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

also not sure when you bought the optima but they have a rebate going

OPTIMA BATTERIES SAVE 25 PROMO
    1996 gmc ext cab short bed
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

it wont tuck in any more its up against the bottom of the bed now...lol
    I am gonna be a new Daddy...

Drive it like you live hard and fast....
    '91 rcsb, 4.3 V6, 700R4 trans swap, 4/6 drop rolling on 18's, roll pan, 2" cowl hood, electric fan, TBI injector spacer, K&N filter replacement, flowmaster muffler...

[Today 08:09 AM] ChevyLee: dale would make a awesome dad in law too

Quote Originally Posted by 567234ta View Post
    also not sure when you bought the optima but they have a rebate going

OPTIMA BATTERIES SAVE 25 PROMO
    Got it off Craigslist for $140...Sams has them for like $165...everywhere else is like $180ish.

+ Reply to Thread