+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tranny Fluid In 4L60E Tailstock...Yes or No???

Question Tranny Fluid In 4L60E Tailstock...Yes or No???

1996 GMC Truck 4L60E Transmission. Is there supposed to be transmission fluid in the tailstock section? Oil is leaking out of my rear tranny seal. thanks

Yes, it gets slung up there. That's why there is a seal. Replace the seal and all should be fine. If you park on a hill the leaks can be worse. Sometimes the vent hole in the center of the yoke leaks. I just weld mine shut.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

You can also plug the hole in the yoke with an aluminum rivet instead of welding...just an alternative.

Your rear seal is easy to replace...you can take off the rear housing of the transmission to get better access to it. If you do, there is a sleeve that the driveshaft yoke goes into on the tailshaft. It has an o-ring inside it that can be changed as well (this is supposed to keep the weep hole on the yoke dry).

All still simple stuff that you can do at home...

If you have a welder, Red's way is probably quicker!
    '-05 people haulin' 5.3 crew cab. Nelson Tuned! 17.4MPG @ 75MPH...SLOW, but not bad.

Slimsilverado Guest
    Some times if you weld the hole shut in the yolk it can seal up really tight and create a hydrolic effect and make it hard to seat the yolk in the tail housing....

Thumbs up Thanks

All great info, thanks a bunch guys!

5 years later...Another question? lol Can this tailstock oil(ATF) affect the VSS senders function? Wondering if I can clean/degrease the sender. Am trying to diagnose a possible VSS issue. Thanks guys.

+ Reply to Thread