+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: How to 4L60E to 4L80E trans swap

Thank you for your help. This is gonna be an on-going project for the next coupe of weeks so if you would, please be patient with us while we gather parts.

Apparently there's two different spacer plates used either with a stock 4L80 application and or with a 4L80 conversion. One being a crank spacer between the crank and flex plate and the other being a spacer between the flex plate and the converter. I know you said we didn't need a spacer but I just wanna make sure before we install the trans. For our application, we don't need to use either spacer? Right?

At the expense of having to loan my son about $200 bucks, I've talked my son into not getting the full manual shift kit. We've decided to go with an electronic trans controller. I've been doing a little research and we're considering the Optishift unit from Baumann Electronic Controls. http://www.optishift.com/ Do you or anybody know anything about um? If so, we'd appreciate any and all experiences or info we can get on it.
    I research things like this to death. Back when I bought our big screen tv, I learned so much about um the sales people where I bought it thought I was some kind of corporate insider trying to see what they new about the products they were selling. Needless to say, I knew more about um than they did. LOL!!!
    With that said, I didn't get a chance to call um today about a few questions we have on its operations and the extent of its capabilities. One question for example is weather it supports the duel speedo sensors of the 4L80. And if its wiring harness provides a method to tie into the stock speedo harness so the speedo will work.
    To install a controller we're gonna have to run a second tps. I'll have to fab a mount for it. We'll also have to run a second MAP sensor. The ones on it now are being used by the FAST-EZ EFI controller.
    Last edited by 383STROKER; 02-19-2011 at 04:38 AM.

is the 383 a gen3 or gen4 engine? if not, you don't need a flexplate spacer and you need to get a flexplate that is for the 80e trans installed in a non-gen3 engine because the converter bolt pattern is different by a few millimeters and had 6 bolts rather than 3.

Never heard of the trans controller. I know GM had a standalone controller for the 80e in the diesel trucks but never saw anyone use one in a conversion.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

No, its not a gen 3 or 4 engine. The block itself is older than his 95 truck. I'll have to ask him (my son) what make/model flex plate he bought. I know it's a stock plate that's weighted for a 5.7 and has the 6 bolt 80e pattern. I think we're good on the plate. I just wanted to be sure about the spacers.

Nothing on the Baumann Optishift huh? I would have though somebody on here would have one in an older model truck or something. I'll try a few other sites and see if anything pops up.

Thanks again.
    Robert

Apparently if you are going to use a 99 4l80e, you have to use rear cooler line fitting which has a longer snout. If you don't the trans is said to fail. I think this is what the problem was with my trans that only lasted about 500ish miles, half of which performance seriously decreased. I am going to install the 80e rear fitting and see if that remedies the problem. If not, I will obviously have to replace/rebuild the trans. I'm not sure if 99 and newer units are correct as i heard of someone with a 98 who had a longer snout in the rear. Here is a link to a thread where this issue is discussed. Vince, seemed to stress the importance on this fitting to.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...s-help-485402/
    2007 GMT900 CCSB 5.3 VTS2300 Twin Screw Supercharger, Doug Thorley LT's, True 3" Duals into Dynomax Race Bullets, Nelson Tune, 4L80e w/transgo HD2-D, Truetrac, 4.10 r&p
    Need list: Stall, PLX 200 for my crappy AFR, X-pipe, GM 20's.

oh yeah, you definitely must have the correct fitting in the rear of the transmission or else you will cause bearing failure. The center support requires lubrication and the return flow of cooled oil from the trans cooler dumps it right on the center support.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

I really need to update this HOW TO.
    There are a few things that have changes and new parts.

It's a lot easier and le$$ expensive these days.

what about 4x4??? do i need to swap transfercases??

Quote Originally Posted by kbomhower View Post
    what about 4x4??? do i need to swap transfercases??
    need to buy an 80e to 60e tcase gear adapter for the tcase.
    allows the output shaft of the 80e to adapt to the 60e tcase.
    part is like $200 if i remember.
    you need to disassemble the tcase to install it.

ok so this is the way to go over the 60e huh??? whats the advantage of this over a built 4l60e?? THANKS

+ Reply to Thread