+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replacing 6.5 diesel with gasser

After planning everything out to go through with a rebuild of the 6.5 diesel in my 1993 1 ton crew cab 4x4 I couldn't get over feeling uneasy about putting over 5G into a fundamentally flawed engine that's not exciting in the power department. I've decided to change over to a gas engine. The mileage won't be there but the fun factor will! I think for less money I can put in a new complete carbed 330 HP 350 from GM if I do the install. I know this engine would bring a smile where the diesel would just have me worried about another failure.

I'm trying to think what obstacles I'll encounter. Here's what comes to my mind. I'd sure appreciate any help.

1)Thoughts about this choice of engine? (I don't tow much now but who knows about later). Think I'm crazy? Guys on the die hard diesel forums do.

2) Accessories. Don't know if I can just get 350 brackets and use my existing AC, alternator, power steering?

3) Motor mounts. Plan to get new - should bolt in. Get these from GM?

4) Exhaust. Manifolds from wrecker? Could do headers - I hear they can be a nuisance, worth the cost? What brand?

5) Radiator/Shroud. Plan to get fan from wrecker. Don't know if fan on 350 will line up? Maybe just change shroud?

6) Clutch. Has 5 sp (like it). Will need flywheel, likely clutch parts too? Clutch was recently replaced but I'm guessing it's incompatible.

7) Gauges. Plan to get gasser guages from wrecker (tach is different).

8) Fuel Pump. Put mechanical pump on 350 and toss diesel lift pump?

9) Fuel. Drain diesel and flush lines!

10) Starter. Just get 350 starter and hook up?

11) Dual battery system - keep it?

12) Throttle, cruise control. Get from wrecker?

I know I'm missing things. Any bit of advice welcomed.

Thanks
    Arlie

Just a thought but maybe a newer turbo diesel swap! You can get pleanty of performance out of one of those. You should be able to do the gas engine if you wanted to. GM makes a complete accessory setup for a small block. You could use electric fans. Looks like you are on the right track about the problems you will encounter.
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

or ive seen those 8.1's go on ebay for pretty cheap, or like he said a newer diesel like the duramax. remember that one ton is a good bit heavier than the standard 1500's so it wouldnt hurt to have a little more power to run it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I believe the duramax would be a lot of work and expense, like doing an ls1. I'm kinda fed up with the whole diesel scenario. Right now I'm thinking 383 stroker for extra torque.
    Would appreciate further advice, especially the details of converting.
    Arlie

Replies no longer needed. I'm planning to swap to a real diesel (Cummins).
    It'll be a project. Gathering info. If you know about this please provide info.
    Arlie

Hey that sounds sweet! Keep us informed.
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

Lots of guys have done it. I have most of the details worked out by piecing together bits of info from various sites. I may take photos and document the project as I can't find anywhere a complete project documentation. I know there's lots of people reinventing the wheel to do this. Let me know if you find conversion info.
    Arlie

+ Reply to Thread