+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Silverado 100 Horsepower Performance gain on a budget

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj357racing View Post
    the power #'s of this is awesome, but i was wondering how long it took to install the camshaft. the tune is $500 + 20 min install, the exhaust maybe $150. Was the exhaust a turndown or full system. just wondering what the cost was, that all. thanks
    We'll be doing a right up on a cam install very soon.
    The exhaust after the headers was stock except a flowmaster, no cats.
    The cam install time depends on the installer, but 4-5hours is typical.

hmm.... i see a new thread article coming soon about 100+ Horsepower Performance gain on a budget part 2 (nitrous)

sounds good..

i think changing a cam would be a great idea for everyone. i wanted to know the labor time because a lot of people may not have the experience or time to spend 5 hrs on their daily driver. i can change a cam in an old 350 (been done too many times) but i wouldn't feel comfortable doing a cam swap on my truck regardless of the great power. The reason why i replied was due to the fact that i wanted to see about the cost to hp ratio overall with labor included as opposed to doing simple bolt-on's that mostly anyone can do. After my Nelson tune is broken in around 150 miles or so, i am going to dyno my truck to see what i could get by doing just bolt-on's, that only take maybe a half an hour per and that don't cost much. Yes i should have installed Lt pacesetter's and an ORY but i think that it takes 5 hrs and $450 l8r. I'm just a more bang for the buck type of person, like many other gearheads. Sorry this is so long.
    05 5.3 RCSB, K&N CAI 77, MSD 8.5's, NGK's, NELSON TUNE, 2"-4" G-Force, HKR Max Flow, TB STALL, 28k Cooler, Vette Servo, 160 Stat, Xenon lamps EveryWhere, 10k H.I.D's, Smoked LED 3rd brake Light, Smoked Tail's, 15% Tint, 45% WS Tint

1967 Nova 358 ci Dart Pro 1 Heads Port matched to Vic. jr, 250/256 solid cam, Hooker Headers ceramic coated, Super Street Fighter Stall, Hipsters Transbrake, 9 inch w/ 4.11's, 26x10.5 Et streets, Lo-pro Caltracs

Slimsilverado Guest

???

Does this truck still have stock cats on it? Also what about the air intake?? Do you guys and et's for this truck after the mods. I have a 2001 rcsb with 5.3 and im interested so let me know...

Hey FarmTruc:

I would like to do these mods.

However, for towing that 40 series flowmaster will be a real pain for towing. Can you recommend a low resonance, not loud muffler that my wife won't kill me for putting on that will give nearly the same performance?

Also, could you give the part number on the Pacesetter headers your recommending for the 5.3? Do those pacesetter's get hotter than stock?

I have a 2005 Avalanche, 4x4, 3.42, 5.3L.

Does the cam kit come with everything I'll need? Any recommendations on installers in the Cincinnati area?

I just have a drop in K&N filter - is that adequate? It is the bigger one - the same size that comes on the 8.1 L motor.

What order would you recommend the install?

Headers, muffler, cam , then your tune?

I'm a novice!

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerRP View Post
    Hey FarmTruc:
    Can you recommend a low resonance, not loud muffler... the same performance?
    Also, could you give the part number on the Pacesetter headers your recommending for the 5.3? Do those pacesetter's get hotter than stock?
    I have a 2005 Avalanche, 4x4, 3.42, 5.3L.
    Does the cam kit come with everything I'll need? Any recommendations on installers in the Cincinnati area?
    I just have a drop in K&N filter - is that adequate? It is the bigger one - the same size that comes on the 8.1 L motor.
    What order would you recommend the install?
    Headers, muffler, cam , then your tune?
    I'm a novice!

Thanks for the help.
    I like the magnaflow, it's free flowing and not too loud. Corsa isn't my style, but there is no resonance with that muffler, she'll like it too.
    They are just headers for 02+ chevy trucks/suv, can't remember what the # is.
    Keep in mind your truck is a lot heavier than the truck posted, so you want to keep the lowend torque. Your truck will do better with a 212cam instead of the 220cam.
    yes, the filter is fine.
    I would get a tune first so you can take advantage of the power now, plus it will give your truck more power than the headers, muffler and kn put together.

hope this helps,
    allen

what if i want more power out of a 5.3l? will nitrous, tune and a good set of heads get me over 500hp to the wheels? im sure i will have to fix the bottem end to handle it but just wondering. going to pick one up pretty soon and dont want it too blow once i put the bottle on it after i get the 100hp gain kit from nelson performance. Local FTW.

The stock crank will do 500 hp without breaking a sweat. The most you really need to worry about is fuel supply. A Walbro or factory fuel pump won't normally supply enough fuel to feed 500hp. Buy a standalone fuel pump/supply for the spray so you don't go lean.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

i want to bring mine in for the same treatment! 70-2265 pacesetter part number for your headers, i didnt know if you wanted the coated or non coated.
    Last edited by silverado06; 09-15-2007 at 08:00 PM.
    2006 ecsb silverado, AFE Cai, Jet Maf, Pacesetter Ceramic Coated Lt's, true duals with Dynomax Bullets, cats and o2's....still emissions legal!
    "Ford...At least they circled the problem".

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    We'll be doing a right up on a cam install very soon.
    The exhaust after the headers was stock except a flowmaster, no cats.
    The cam install time depends on the installer, but 4-5hours is typical.
    How is this cam install write up coming? I'ts getting colder up here now, so the performance mods will be starting soon..lol

2004 Silverado , 5.3, 22" akuzas, SS bumper, cowl hood, lots of winter power upgrades coming.
    1990 Sierra ST 540, prostreet **SOLD**

+ Reply to Thread