+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheap way to shave the antenna on a NBS truck!

Whataburger from TexasTruckScene.com clued me in to this cheap and easy mod and I thought I should share

The antenna on the NBS trucks goes through the wiper cowl corner, not the fender like the OBS trucks. Escalades have the antenna in their back glass I think, so their cowl corner doesn't have the hole in it.

Parts needed:
    Escalade cowl corner - GM part number 15287179 (got mine for about $10 shipped from partszoneonline.com)
    1 zip tie
    1 bolt/nut (not sure of the size, mine was 3/8" bolt head and about 1/4" in diameter at the threads)

Remove the antenna and then pop off the cowl corner. It has 3 clips that hold it in place. Then you unbolt the base of the antenna (3 screws) and lay it down, running it parallel with the fender. Now attach the antenna base to the "L" bracket. I used an old bolt that I had in my tool box to attach the antenna to the "L" bracket. Now attach the "L" bracket to the antenna mount using one of the original antenna screws. Reattach the antenna to the antenna base. Now secure the antenna to the fender using the zip tie towards the end of the antenna. There is an opening in the fender well that you can thread the zip tie through. Install the escalade cowl corner and you're done.

I noticed a little reception loss, but not enough to be concerned with. Enjoy

"L" Bracket attached to antenna mount.

Antenna base mounted to the "L" bracket.

Antenna tie wrapped to the fender well.

Old cowl corner next to the esky cowl corner.

Before mod

After mod

My truck was filthy at the time, but you get the idea
    2007 Sierra Denali, 6.2l L92, 6L80E, 3.42s, AWD, Outlaw CAI, 160* t-stat, magnaflow muffler and HPTuners!

cool looks good..do you think a hidden antenna would help it any? i have one in my truck..it works alright but i just mounted it behind the stereo on a a/c duct inside my dash..took me about 5 minutes..just my
    Project: 91' short wide:
    GMC front end update with billet grille and all clears, 17x8 & 17x11 Torq Thrust II's
    5/7 drop, almost totally shaved and 93 Deville tails
    Future Plans: 2001 LQ4 6.0L & a T-56

DD: 98' 5 speed GT : Dumped Exhaust, CAI

they just look weird without an antenna to me. im sure im in the minority on this one but i think a short billet antenna looks better.

old mod list: H/C/I/N/E/G 408
    new mod list: 5.3, gears/posi, mufler and tune : (

DBYRD Guest
    nice! i liked the idea of the hidden antenna from stylinconcepts, but u lose AM radio functions. i know i rarely listen to AM radio but still sometimes the only way to listen to the football or baseball or hockey or basketball games is that way. maybe ill get me one of those satelite tv systems and mount it on my roof...

very nice!
    i might have to try this.

11' Sierra 6.2 NHT
    14.46@91 Stock
    89' Mustang LSX
    10.35@130 pump gas LQ4

Knothead Racing

i did this a while ago. i didnt loose any reception. and i think it looks better. IMO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(c1500 &#064; May 16 2007, 02&#58;08 AM) [snapback]93609[/snapback]</div>
    cool looks good..do you think a hidden antenna would help it any? i have one in my truck..it works alright but i just mounted it behind the stereo on a a/c duct inside my dash..took me about 5 minutes..just my
    [/b]

The hidden antenna thing might help, but I couldn&#39;t justify the cost of it (&#036;50) vs. the cost of the stocker (&#036;0)
    2007 Sierra Denali, 6.2l L92, 6L80E, 3.42s, AWD, Outlaw CAI, 160* t-stat, magnaflow muffler and HPTuners!

This is a cheap and easy upgrade. I&#39;m so glad to have found this on here. My cowl piece is on order, and the rest has been taken care of already. I always wanted to rid of that antenna, as I have XM. Now I can have my cake and eat it too. Thank you to the guy who came up with this ingenious idea.

Oh, yeah, noob here. Gotta&#39; Victory Red 2004 RC/SB Z71.
    2004 Victory Red 5.3L RC/SB. Nelson Performance Tune, 180* Powerstat, Flex-a-Lite Electric Fans with Nelson Harness, aFe Stage 2 CAI, Granatelli CA-Tuned MAF, Flowmaster Muscle Truck Cat-Back (the one that kicks out in front of the rear tire), Shaved Ant. (thanks guys), New Toyo Open Country A/T&#39;s (use to have G/Y MT/R&#39;s), soon to have a 3&#39; Body Lift and Gibson Shorty Headers.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...4/100_0151.jpg

Very cool idea...good post.

I just tried all my radio stations...all but one is gone...and it&#39;s a religious station...Thank god for XM
    2004 Victory Red 5.3L RC/SB. Nelson Performance Tune, 180* Powerstat, Flex-a-Lite Electric Fans with Nelson Harness, aFe Stage 2 CAI, Granatelli CA-Tuned MAF, Flowmaster Muscle Truck Cat-Back (the one that kicks out in front of the rear tire), Shaved Ant. (thanks guys), New Toyo Open Country A/T&#39;s (use to have G/Y MT/R&#39;s), soon to have a 3&#39; Body Lift and Gibson Shorty Headers.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...4/100_0151.jpg

+ Reply to Thread