+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Belt Tensioner

Smile

Ok so you can see what i drive in my sig. but my question is... This is the second time ive had my belt tensioner replaced twice on my truck... under warrenty. but everytime this squeaking noise comes back. it sounds like im driving an 89 civic with 300,000 miles on it. i no its the belt tensioner. because ive done several tests of my own. but this is were i need yall's input. should i take it back to the dealership and have them replace it a third time? or should i try to put some kind of lube/oil on the spring assembly. if so what kind of lube/oil do you reccomend...

ps: it does it when its cold and hot outside. and dosnt go away even after 30 min-hour of driving.

thanks alot.
    preston
    05 Chevy Silverado. Regular cab, short bed.
    -4.3L
    - Sung Top tonneau bed cover.
    imco custom dual exhaust,
    custom air intake,
    ls1 build in progress..

IF they cant fix if after 3 times then i am starting to smell a lemon.
    2004 EXC Silverado 6.2L
    Mods:
    6.2L L92, Ported and Polished stage 3 heads, 95mm Throttle Body, 100mm MAF, NA, Pacesetter LT Headers, Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler, Electric Fans, 160* thermostat, 2" Drop Shackles, Hellwig Sway Bars Front and Rear, Monroe Reflex Shocks, NGK Spark Plugs, AMW Oil Catch Can, 17"x10" wheels on Kuhmo Tires.

Never herd of such a thing 3 Tensioners... Sounds like a bad diag to me? Get a good quality after market tensioner and replace the belt if your SURE thats the problem. There are alot of things internaly that can make that same noise.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Motocycleguy &#064; Apr 20 2007, 11&#58;45 PM) [snapback]90800[/snapback]</div>
    Never herd of such a thing 3 Tensioners... Sounds like a bad diag to me? Get a good quality after market tensioner and replace the belt if your SURE thats the problem. There are alot of things internaly that can make that same noise.
    [/b]
    i know he says it not the belt but on my truck i have gone through 3 belts in 10000 miles...i bought a gatorback from summit and it looks a lot better than the stock...when these serpentine belts start sqealing theres nothing you can do to stop it

05 RC, LME 6.0, 243 Heads, LSA Rods, 11:25 Forged Pistons, Cam Motion Custom Grind, 4:10, Eaton LSD, Narrowed Rear-end w/ Chromoly Axles, Pacesetters LT's, SLP Loudmouth II Mufflers, Volant CAI, Yank SSTB3600, Bosch 42 lbs inj's, G-Force Tune, FLT Level 4 Trany, Belltech 2/4, Times: ?
    Facebook

im sure its the tensiorner b/c you can see it bouncing as the belt is going arounnd it ill video it and post it up so you guys can take a look.
    05 Chevy Silverado. Regular cab, short bed.
    -4.3L
    - Sung Top tonneau bed cover.
    imco custom dual exhaust,
    custom air intake,
    ls1 build in progress..

DBYRD Guest
    well from what uve said here and looking in ur sig my answer to ur problems is a 6.0. problem fixed. u can thank me later. haha jk.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05chevydude &#064; Apr 22 2007, 07&#58;41 AM) [snapback]90878[/snapback]</div>
    im sure its the tensiorner b/c you can see it bouncing as the belt is going arounnd it ill video it and post it up so you guys can take a look.
    [/b]
    Thats normal belt tensioner movement... Not saying its not the problem, But they do jump around.

I had the same problem when I had 4.3L single cab..and it was a lemon...
    06 silverado CC Volant CAI/ Corsa Sport exhaust
    dynatech supermaxx headers/cats
    LPE GT2-3 cam/ Comp 918's/ Rods
    Eaton LSD 3.73's
    IAT Shocks
    DANNY TRANNY w/2800 TCS billet verter
    275HP and 293TQ Pre Cam
    314HP and 303TQ post cam

What does the tensioner do after you replace it? Does it still bounce around as bad? Is it throwing the belt off? Try spraying lithium grease on the spring. Is it a belt squeak noise or something else squeaking? If its not the belt squeaking try a stethascope on the tensioner body and all the pulleys. Is the motor running smoothly? Is the a/c on when it does this? Are the pulleys lined up properly? Do all accessories and idlers turn properly? I had a 96&#39; with an a/c compressor trying to lock up and causing the tensioner to bounce around a bit more than usual and when the tensioner was replaced it had enough tension to stop the noise for about 5k and wear out and start squeaking again. Just some food for thought that might be being over looked at the dealership. i know a 96&#39; to 05&#39; isnt exactly apples to apples comparison but maybe useful. As far as im concerned if the tensioner has already been replaced twice and the noise comes back, the dealer should change all the accessories, tensioner, belt and pulleys before the truck becomes a lemon. Its cheaper to replace all the accessories than replace the whole truck. had a truck that sees a lot of dirt wear out all the pulleys untill all the ribbs on the pulleys were razor sharp causing the belt to squeak. The only way to fix that was to replace all the pulleys and belt. Something is causing the tensioners to wear out or the new tensioners are holding enough tension on the belt for it not to squeak untill the tensioner wears in a bit. I hope this helps, and the service manager at the dealership you take it to should take care of this and not let the tech just put another tensioner on the truck. What dealership are you taking it to? Did you try a different dealership? If you take it to the same dealer the same tech is probably going to work on it because it is considered a come back. if the tech is not sure what the problem is, a new tensioner will get you out of his hair really quick and he wont get his pay cut back because of a missdaignosis, but rather get paid again for installing a new tensioner because the last one was a faulty part. <-- that is probably what happened the last time you took it there. I would try a different dealer and make sure they know that a tensioner is only going to solve the problem for a few thousand miles. Hope this helps you out
    EATIN' FORDS AND TUNDRAS

RIP 2005 VHO ecsb 6.0HO, Comp Cam, Nelson Tune, OBX LT's.

+ Reply to Thread