+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Bad O2 sensors...?

It's funny how something totally unrelated can cause a code. Kind of like my TPS codes actually being the coolant sensor. Absolutely no common wiring between the two of them. I think that whomever wrote the code in the PCM must smoke crack.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Yeah I'm still not clear how the knock sensors/wiring being corroded would affect the O2 sensors.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DamnYankee &#064; Apr 12 2007, 08&#58;04 PM) [snapback]89740[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah I&#39;m still not clear how the knock sensors/wiring being corroded would affect the O2 sensors.
    [/b]
    Yeah, I am at a loss too--I would have never correlated the two... If the rear of the intake is "loose," then that (knock sensors) is definitely the problem. Hope you can get it fixed soon. Let us know how everything turns out...

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

Well the latest is I picked up the new sensors yesterday and the wiring harness with the plan of pulling the intake and if anything was corroded, replacing it, and if not, returning the parts. I managed to get the intake off and didn&#39;t really see anything noticeably wrong with the knock sensors or the harness other than the general area being kind of dirty and a little water in the bottom of the sensor housings. Since there was SOME water in there, that makes me think there was likely more at one point and the heat from the block has probably evaporated it over time.

I called Billy and Virgil and asked their opinion and wound up putting the new parts in just in case. The sensors were &#036;57 each and the harness was about &#036;30, so it was kind of an expensive "just-in-case" replacement but at least I know they&#39;re good now.

I haven&#39;t torn into these engines much so I was pretty happy I managed to remove it and reassemble it and have it start right up.

Anyway, it seems to be running pretty strong, but I&#39;ll have to borrow Virgil again to see what the sensors are reading.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DamnYankee &#064; Apr 17 2007, 07&#58;12 AM) [snapback]90174[/snapback]</div>
    Well the latest is I picked up the new sensors yesterday and the wiring harness with the plan of pulling the intake and if anything was corroded, replacing it, and if not, returning the parts. I managed to get the intake off and didn&#39;t really see anything noticeably wrong with the knock sensors or the harness other than the general area being kind of dirty and a little water in the bottom of the sensor housings. Since there was SOME water in there, that makes me think there was likely more at one point and the heat from the block has probably evaporated it over time.

I called Billy and Virgil and asked their opinion and wound up putting the new parts in just in case. The sensors were &#036;57 each and the harness was about &#036;30, so it was kind of an expensive "just-in-case" replacement but at least I know they&#39;re good now.

I haven&#39;t torn into these engines much so I was pretty happy I managed to remove it and reassemble it and have it start right up.

Anyway, it seems to be running pretty strong, but I&#39;ll have to borrow Virgil again to see what the sensors are reading.
    [/b]
    I think you did the right thing by replacing the sensors and harness. Like you said--it&#39;s an expensive just-in-case-it-might-be-the-problem thing... This may be a dumb question, but did you clean out the intake manifold really well--and dry it out well before reassembly? Did you replace the intake gasket with a really good one? When it come to intake gaskets, you can&#39;t get the &#39;cheapy&#39; brand. That will help out in the excessive amounts of moisture entering your intake chamber. I hope that fixed your problem...

2000 ECSB 6.0L
    TORQUER V2 CAM ● COMP 918's ● 7.4 HARDENED PUSHRODS ● K&N SERIES 77 CAI ● 80mm BBK ●PACESETTER LT HEADERS AND 3'' ORY ● SUPER 40 FLOW ● 3000 STALL ● 4.10s ● BUILT 80e ● VORTEC PERFORMANCE TUNE ● MSD 8.5mm PLUG WIRES● ELEC. CUTOUT ● UD & ALT PULLEYS ● FLEX-A-LITE E-FANS ● 22" CENTERLINE STINGRAY III's ● LUND FIBERGLASS TONNEAU ● 2" LEVELING SHACKLES ● 12K HID LOWS & FOGS ● LEDs ● DEBADGED ● WHITE-FACED ESCALADE GAUGES ● KICKER 450.1 ● 2-CVR 10's ● DS60's ● K693's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(txarkitekt &#064; Apr 17 2007, 09&#58;44 AM) [snapback]90185[/snapback]</div>
    I think you did the right thing by replacing the sensors and harness. Like you said--it&#39;s an expensive just-in-case-it-might-be-the-problem thing... This may be a dumb question, but did you clean out the intake manifold really well--and dry it out well before reassembly? Did you replace the intake gasket with a really good one? When it come to intake gaskets, you can&#39;t get the &#39;cheapy&#39; brand. That will help out in the excessive amounts of moisture entering your intake chamber. I hope that fixed your problem...
    [/b]

I didn&#39;t clean everything the way I wanted to due to time constraints. The ports (?) on the manifold as well as the ports (?) in the heads all could have used a good cleaning. I&#39;ll post up pics later. But I was first of all running low on time and second worried about knocking crap down into the block. I did clean the surface of the heads where the intake gasket sits just to make sure it would have a good seal. I also cleaned the gaskets. The gaskets by the way are reusable, no need for new ones.

I hope it fixed it too - pretty anxious to log some more and see what kind of readings I get.

I sure hopes that fixes your problem.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedHeartbeat &#064; Apr 17 2007, 04&#58;11 PM) [snapback]90240[/snapback]</div>
    I sure hopes that fixes your problem.
    [/b]

Thanks Greg. Here are a few pictures.

I cleaned up the surface areas a little but didn&#39;t do anything to the &#39;ports&#39; (is there a correct term so I don&#39;t keep feeling like an idiot?).

The intake manifold looked about the same. It&#39;s almost like a layer of creosote that you&#39;d see on a wood stove. Not sure if that&#39;s normal or not...

And here are both stock knock sensors. There was some crap around them, but still not sure if it was linked to the low voltage codes. And like I said, there was also some moisture/water, so maybe when I was getting the low voltage codes the sensors and/or harness was wet - who knows...

Holy crap, did you buy that truck up north? That thing is nasty.

Is that a shot for being a Yankee or is it extraordinarily dirty?

+ Reply to Thread