+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New build high oil pressure concern

New build high oil pressure concern

Anyone just get there build going and is in the process of breaking in the engine and has a concern with high oil pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by farmtruc View Post
    Anyone just get there build going and is in the process of breaking in the engine and has a concern with high oil pressure?
    did you read my post or something lol, i am my oil pressure is 65 but i yet to put a mechanical gauge on to see how acurate the electronic gauge is ?

talk to me ?
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

hahah, ya, just being funny, but a good concern and question.

I know very high oil pressure is a concern, however, I've never seen oil pressure so high in these engines it hurts anything.
    Not trying to make this post about my setup, but maybe it'll help you feel better about yours.

Since my engine has been together, from day one, it's always had 30psi at idle and 50psi at wot. I never once cared it was so low because I know that's enough oil pressure to keep things lubed.
    Well, when I upgraded my engines topend, I decided to change the pump since it was 5 years old (but low mileage).
    I put another Melling pump in with the supplied spring, discarded the high pressure spring. Now the engine has, like yours, 60-65psi at idle when cold, as I rev it, it'll hit 80psi easily.
    When it's warm, it's still higher than average, however it doesn't go above 80psi at wot.

I really wasn't a fan of high oil pressure on my engine because I contributed the low oil pressure to NO LEAKS, not sure if they really go hand in hand, but my engine has never leaked any oil, ever.
    With this new pressure producing more oil pressure, the engine still has no leaks, so either it's sealed very well or they have nothing to do with one another.

As far as scavenging and this and that you hear of, I'm not expert, but I really don't think you'll have an issue with that amount of oil pressure.

Also, if you're breaking in the engine, try a thinner oil next time, pressure will definitely drop.

hahah, ya, just being funny, but a good concern and question.

I know very high oil pressure is a concern, however, I've never seen oil pressure so high in these engines it hurts anything.
    Not trying to make this post about my setup, but maybe it'll help you feel better about yours.

Since my engine has been together, from day one, it's always had 30psi at idle and 50psi at wot. I never once cared it was so low because I know that's enough oil pressure to keep things lubed.
    Well, when I upgraded my engines topend, I decided to change the pump since it was 5 years old (but low mileage).
    I put another Melling pump in with the supplied spring, discarded the high pressure spring. Now the engine has, like yours, 60-65psi at idle when cold, as I rev it, it'll hit 80psi easily.
    When it's warm, it's still higher than average, however it doesn't go above 80psi at wot.

I really wasn't a fan of high oil pressure on my engine because I contributed the low oil pressure to NO LEAKS, not sure if they really go hand in hand, but my engine has never leaked any oil, ever.
    With this new pressure producing more oil pressure, the engine still has no leaks, so either it's sealed very well or they have nothing to do with one another.

As far as scavenging and this and that you hear of, I'm not expert, but I really don't think you'll have an issue with that amount of oil pressure.

Also, if you're breaking in the engine, try a thinner oil next time, pressure will definitely drop.

thanks for the post allen, heres a run down on the oil pump and oil pressure, it is a melling pump, its been on 3 builds already, nothing changed in the pump just taken apart and cleaned thoroughly, the other builds the oil pressure was at 45 idle cold and at warm up, now the difference in this build and the others is a new block or different block its a pre 04, everything else is the same, i aslo have never had oil leaks and i run BR joe gibbs oil the 30 weight oil, i cut the filter open yesterday after 200 miles, nothing obvious in it, very very light metal dust if that, nothing to be concerned about though. but the high oil pressure is concerning me cause in reality nothing has changed except another build and a different bored 6.0 block.

what gets me is its like 70 at cold idle and 65 after warming, running around 70 mph its closer to 80 psi, i can only imagine what its going to do when i put a foot in it!! i have checked the oiling up top, seems to be getting plenty.

dunno, maybe just gun shy cause of my 2011 year, as you know it wasnt the best i was gonna change the oil but it looked to good and was kinda thick for 30 weight? but it was cold didnt start it from the day before.

Tolerances must be tight. My builds with the melling pump all have great oil pressure. I bet ur ok.
    single digit street truck

for build info

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...cs-garage.html

The best advice I have ever heard:... Only take B( . Y . )ST advice from someone that is CURRENTLY running a turbo setup close to, or bigger than what you want......

I heard more than one engine request the use of 40w conventional oil, after a little while, they tell me to put what I want in it after that.
    I have a tahoe here that's been my nightmare for months, don't ask lol, but it has very high oil pressure. Like so much, I have to baby the throttle until it's warm.
    Also, Trey's truck, the Thumper 91mm ccab, HAD high oil pressure initially, but after changing the oil and going to a 5w, it's all normal now.
    However, after running it hard a few times, oil pressure is at 30psi, but when it cools down to normal operating temperature, it's back at 40psi or so.

I don't think slightly high oil pressure is a concern right now, you're still breaking it in and once you try another oil, let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by TurboMic View Post
    Tolerances must be tight. My builds with the melling pump all have great oil pressure. I bet ur ok.
    thanks Mic, so whats great oil pressure?

I heard more than one engine request the use of 40w conventional oil, after a little while, they tell me to put what I want in it after that.
    I have a tahoe here that's been my nightmare for months, don't ask lol, but it has very high oil pressure. Like so much, I have to baby the throttle until it's warm.
    Also, Trey's truck, the Thumper 91mm ccab, HAD high oil pressure initially, but after changing the oil and going to a 5w, it's all normal now.
    However, after running it hard a few times, oil pressure is at 30psi, but when it cools down to normal operating temperature, it's back at 40psi or so.

I don't think slightly high oil pressure is a concern right now, you're still breaking it in and once you try another oil, let us know!
    ok i wont ask lol, ive also was told to gradually move up in oil weight! to pick and choose the oil i wanna run after at lease 1500 miles, on my stock 6.0 i used to run i ran the cheapest oil i could find lol cause i changed it every 2 weekends of racing, this city driving is killing me lol i wanna so badly put my foot it in, i feel the power is there but dont know the oil issue is concerning me, but i just got word to put a mechanical guage on it and verify and not to worry, as i have good flow to the top of the engine!

on another note, the ls2 i had, i broke 2 rods at 5800 rpms, when i stopped i noticed no oil on the dip stick i was like wtf, waited a bit and checked again and oil level was there ? seems like it sucked the oil to the top of the motor? have you ever encountered this?

I also just put together a new engine before sar. It had 60 at idle and 80 driving 70-75. I was worried until i mad several wide open passes and hurt nothing. It now has 1600 miles on it and a oil change still runs 55 idle and 75 driving with no issues. I run the joe gibs break in oil. And now running the joe gibs semi senthetic. Seems fine. Also i have the same mellings oil pump

Quote Originally Posted by LQ9_Z71 View Post
    I also just put together a new engine before sar. It had 60 at idle and 80 driving 70-75. I was worried until i mad several wide open passes and hurt nothing. It now has 1600 miles on it and a oil change still runs 55 idle and 75 driving with no issues. I run the joe gibs break in oil. And now running the joe gibs semi senthetic. Seems fine. Also i have the same mellings oil pump

good to know, im deffinitely ready to unleash this Btch, think ill do one more 100 mile city drive hitting the throttle more often then change the oil and go from there.

I to had i pressure prob with the same oil pump. 45 at idle and who knows what at high rpm. it was enough to kill my sender. I have yet to check it with a manual gauge but i have oil pressure and im not to worried since the motor has 200,000 miles. It would be a good excuse to replace it with the 6.0.

+ Reply to Thread