+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 98 LS tahoe twin turbo remote mount build!!!

98 LS tahoe twin turbo remote mount build!!!

Thanks to everyones help here I got my 5.3 LS swap finished!!!

Here is a link to the build thread...

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...e-ls-swap.html

So ive been driving it for a month or so and now I developed another itch... so I had to scratch it.

Twin Turbo remote mounted.
    I am going to mount 2 T3 T04E turbos directly after my collectors. I will be removing my electric cutouts and there will be a perfect place for them. Running 2.5" piping back up front to a small intercooler.

Just started gathering parts for it..

My plan is small boost to keep it reliable. probably 5-7psi. I figure that both of the turbos will flow enough volume to be pretty efficient at that psi.. and Im hoping I can retain stock injectors and fuel pump at that low boost level. anyhoo... here is what Ive ordered so far.

27x7x2.5" intercooler
    piping kit with clamps and silicone couplers
    BOV
    Oil catch can
    T3 exhaust flange (2)
    5 bolt turbo dump flange with Vband clamps (2)
    1 T3 T04E turbo.
    (2) small 3" intake filters.
    boost gauge

I will be making slip on adapters to go from the collectors to the turbos,
    Building custom shrouds to protect the filters from water....
    Only ordered 1 turbo ATM so I can mock up fitment... and because my wallet needs a break...

I will have HP Tuners coming soon.

Thoughts?

Any recommendations on oil cooling line sizes? Im thinking -6 for feed and -10 for drain.

also does anyone know of a place I can get a sandwich plate with ports to go where my oil filter mounts so I can hook oil lines up there?
    98 Tahoe 4WD. 2002 5.3L LS swap.. Lowered on shackles and keys. 22" Escalade rims with custom SS centercaps, 2 tone red and gunmetal paint with silver pinstripe.SS front bumper cover.Rear roll pan. Street scene mesh grille inserts.debadged and demoulded.6K HIDs and hidden yellow fogs.Billet bowtie.K&N intake system. Flexalite Efans.Dual optima batteries. Pacesetter shorties High Flow cats. Flowmaster muffler with single exit exhaust. Escalade Seats and console. SS headrests. Remote Twin turbo build in progress!!!

u need a 1/8" orifice on the oil feed to supply journal bearing turbos, -3 works for most people i guess. u will also need an oil scavenge pump for those low mount turbos to dump back to the oil pan. U can get ur oil supply from the oil cooler block off plate just above the filter. Unless u have flex fuel injectors, u will need bigger ones as well as a boost controlled fuel regulator. u will need at least a walbro 255 or bigger. If ur gonna change the pump, u might as well just get a Aeromotive stealth 340. The list goes on and on.... I thought i could do it for around 3 grand but its gonna be around 5. Im going a little overboard but i dont want to keep taking stuff apart for up grades.

good info thanks man!!

dont the lightning injectors fit the LS engines?
    98 Tahoe 4WD. 2002 5.3L LS swap.. Lowered on shackles and keys. 22" Escalade rims with custom SS centercaps, 2 tone red and gunmetal paint with silver pinstripe.SS front bumper cover.Rear roll pan. Street scene mesh grille inserts.debadged and demoulded.6K HIDs and hidden yellow fogs.Billet bowtie.K&N intake system. Flexalite Efans.Dual optima batteries. Pacesetter shorties High Flow cats. Flowmaster muffler with single exit exhaust. Escalade Seats and console. SS headrests. Remote Twin turbo build in progress!!!

im not 100% on the lighting but the injectors i got were modified ford injectors. The hight of the injectors r a little different but i bought after-market fuel rails anyway. With our trucks having high impedance injectors it allows u to go as big as u want. i didnt want to keep buying injectors so i eneded up with 96 lb/hr ford svt injectors.

one those turbos are too small for a 5.3
    that intercooler is way way too small for a boosted v8

yes 42lb injectors will fit but are too small for anything over 450 rwhp boosted

with mid mounts you will need a scavange pump

-4 is what you use to feed turbos
    -10 is what you would use for drain
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

you guys are over estimating my desired results i think... I plan on running low boost and im not looking for some crazy HP numbers.. thanks for all the info though!!!

turbos are not too small... maybe at 12-15psi they would be inefficient. not planning on going over 7psi.

Also an intercooler isnt even required so how can this one be too small?

Or is it just too small for you to run?

Speaking from experience... All shit mentioned needs re looked at

My old 53 on 9 psi made 575rwhp without leaning on it
    2002 Lightning - GT headed 5.5Litre w/ Twin 7665s
    2002 Silverado - 427Lsx w/ Twin gt4202s
    2010 Silverado crewcab Z71 - 5.3litre w/ procharger
    2000 Wrangler - 5.3litre with some stance
    2014 Xsport- 3.5 Eco boost
    412 Motorsports

it ain't that I'm too big to listen to the rumors, It's just that I'm too damn big to pay attention to 'em..That's the difference

yep...from experience that ic is on the small side for flow thru and why not just go with 1 T60 turbo...they are under the truck anyway so nobody would even notice and would save you some money on the build
    '13 silverado LT...stock

'11 lt 4x4 z71..tvs1900

'01 gmc twins 6.0 jakes 400 ladder bars w/ coilovers tuned by nelson performance

The best advice you can take is from someone who has actually done turbo builds. Or, has had a dozen vehicles with FI (bud8fan).
    I think a lot of the vets (including myself) get exhausted with putting time and experience into someone's build, then to only have them turn around and do differently.

By no means am i saying follow the advice exactly, but just take some of it and go in that general direction.

I understand it gets confusing and over thinking happens, you can blame that on all the experts and forums lol.

imo, i'm thinking t3's with little boost will work just fine.
    Trust me from experience, your setup needs an intercooler. Mid mounts don't run any cooler iat's than front mounts. During the summer (regardless of location) the iat's are gonna reach well above 170degs.
    I wouldn't go thru all the trouble to build a twin kit then not cool it properly; then be forced to pull timing and suffer a power loss.

here, with 5-7psi, just get something from here: it's cheap and will work.
    http://www.frozenboost.com/front-mou...17506b68f81619

just my take on it.

everything else will work, i'm not saying optimal, but will get the job done.

+ Reply to Thread