+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the latest new guy

Hello all, I found this site because somebody posted a link to it on FSC. I'm from SE New Mexico and I have a 2003 Arrival Blue single cab w/ a 4.8L (link in sig) that I would like to make quite a bit faster than what it is. So far I've only been the track once, and the best I was able to get was 16.68 @ 81.49 (bone stock). I really want to improve on that time next season, and being that this is my first truck I still have a lot to learn.

Here's a picture of my truck a couple of weeks after I got it.

Welcome to the site.
    '02 1500HD, 6.0L, magnacharger, 2000stall, custom magnaflow with electric cutout, E-fans, Nelson custom tune, Auburn LSD.
    '79 L82 vette, Summit 355, Dart Pro1 heads, Comp 274 cam, Holley TBI, Built TH350 with 2500stall
    '93 Blazer, full size 2dr 4x4, new project.....

as a fellow 4.8L owner, i know your frustaration about the power that it offers. but i can tell you one thing. with a little time and a lot of money(trust me its not cheap ) you can get your truck movin. just dont get suckered into wasting money on items that dont work. (been there done that). i would suggest getting a good true dual exhaust put in and replace the air intake. also some long tubes to go with the exhaust. get a hold of LS1 EDIT. it will be like night and day in your truck. if you really want to turn heads. get a cam and some springs and a set of roller rockers.
    ive got the comp 1.85's and now im just waiting on the money to get my cam and springs from comp.
    allen is going to tune the truck this weekend and i cant wait to see how it will drive after that
    anyways, welcome to the site hope we are able to answer your questions,and learn from your suggestions too.
    later,
    Daniel

1999 Pewter Z28
    Sold - 2001 Onyx Black Silverado Stepside "Thunder"

Just like 01thunder said, a good exhaust, cam and tuning will perk that 4.8L up.

Nothing wrong with having that either, it has potential.

Nice truck btw, and enjoy the site,

allen

Thanks for the welcome. I was thinking that a nice exhaust would be one of my first mods. I have heard some things concerning the Ls1 edit, but I don't know a lot about it. I heard that you are able to use it on more than one vehicle, like up to four, and that they have to be the same year model, is that true?

There is an unlimited cable and a single user cable,

The single user allows up to 4 vins, once they're on there, there's no turning back.

Edit takes a lot of patience , a laptop, and atap. It also helps to have lots of cars to work with so that you understand how it works.

I know someone who can tune that truck for ya

Later,

allen

The reason I asked, is becuase a friend of mine has an '02 Z28, and he was also wanting to get an ls1 edit. We could both just go in on one. Plus he has a friend with a procharged z28 that might be interested aswell.

farmtruc, where are you located?

I'm located in San Antonio, TX.

However if there are a few ppl who want tuning, I may drive out to the surrounding areas.
    Maybe, just a thought.

allen

Another question that I have.... Is there any recommended upgrade paths that I could take a look at. Something that lists all the "Free Mod's" and the other mods. Maybe even in some type of order?

ninetyNINE...welcome to the party!

Most of the free mods suck...hence why they are free. The two that I did were the EGR cut down in the upper intake manifold and ditch the coolant going through the TB. Keep the screen in your MAF and the EGR restictor seemed to work a bit too.

Also '99 are the most detuned of all trucks stock, suffer from false knock, and have a smaller cam than the '00+ ones. A tune would make it run like a bat out of hell compared to now.

01tunhder...I too plan to tune my box on the 30th too. Maybe I can get rid of that stupid converter lockup at 30mph!
    The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions. - Confucius

"He who asks of life nothing but the improvement of his own nature, is less liable than anyone else to miss and waste life."- Henri Frederic Amiel

'01 Chev Z71 LT - '85 BMW 745i TURBO - '88 BMW 750iL - '88 Ford F150 XLT Lariat - '79 MB 240D - '79 MB 280S Euro
    '80 MB 380SE-5.0 Euro - '85 MB 300SD - '87 MB 300SDL - 1990 MB 300SEL - '91 MB 300SE - '91 MB 560SEL

Let's face it, the red hair... makes 'em wet.

+ Reply to Thread