+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Garage

My Garage

Getting the hang of this "My Garage" thing. Deleted old pics that were way too big, resized to a more Forum-friendly 640X480.

Brake job photos of my '02 Avalanche 1500 Z-71 4X4, just under 40K miles:

Putting my 13yo nephew to work, removing the rotor retaining clips from the wheel studs:

The outside of all 4 rotors looked like this, with good contact area. The contact surface is just rusty because the truck hasn't moved for about 90 days at this point.

The insides of THREE of the rotors looked like this. Only about 3/4cm contact area in the center of the pad, the tops and bottoms of the pads weren't contacting.

Pic of removed original LR caliper. Pad gone, what I'm holding is the shim which separated from the steel backing plate also. Note the pistons fully extended.....

....this is why. The trophy shot. LR rotor inside braking surface completely gone, and even ate halfway through the cooling vanes.

New LR assembled.

New RR assembled.

New LF assembled.

New RF assembled.

Final parts list:
    Drilled/slotted rotors from iROTORS, Inc. - Brake Rotors, Pads, Lines, Big Brake Kits
    NAPA Ultra Premium Ceramic front pads
    Performance Friction Carbon-Metallic rear pads
    O'Reilly's Parking Brake shoes
    A1 Cardone stock replacement calipers (all 4)
    eBay 2-stage epoxy caliper paint (calipers)
    black caliper spray paint for brackets
    StopTech 4-piece SS braided lines

Brakes still a bit soft under light braking. With medium or heavy braking however, it tries to make you kiss the windshield. Overall I'm pretty happy with my parts selection. I'll see how long these cheap eBay rotors last, and next time I'll put on the more tried-and-true Durastop drilled/slotted upgrade rotors.

Pic from the '09 Iowa/Nebraska Christmas blizzard:

Last edited by DigitalBoy0101; 12-29-2009 at 10:57 AM. Reason: New pic

'02 Avalanche 1500 Z-71, BFG All-Terrains, K&N FIPK, Superchips tuner (Nelson eventually), 750-watt Alpine stereo W/ JL midgate Stealthbox.
    '88 Mustang GT, 400HP on motor, T-56 6-speed, 3.73s, 150HP NOS
    '89 K5 Blazer 1500, blown motor and transmission. Another project some year.
    '95 Polaris 600XCR snowmobile, pipes, heads, bored carbs.

Blazer

My '89 K-5 Blazer 4X4. Blown TBI 350 and blown TH700R4. I'll resurrect it some year into a light/medium trail truck. Plans are 6.0L/4L80E swap, and Dana 44/60 swap from 3/4T '70s Ford. Plan on small lift with 35s.

Hasn't moved out of my backyard basically ever since I bought my Avalanche 8 years ago.

Blue flashers still on the front from when I was on the Volunteer Fire Department. Grille and mirrors painted to match the body.

Eagle 589 15X8 wheels with ProComp 31/10.5/15 Mud Terrains. Dual front steering stabilizers. Hella Black Magic offroad lights on push bar. Rancho RS9000 shocks and Rancho towing helper spring in rear. Regeared to 3.42 from 2.73 stock. F/R limited-slip diffs. Custom built 140 amp alternator. True dual exhaust with FlowTech LTs, no cats, Flowmasters, and side exit. Truck is Scottsdale trim with military-style rubberized floor and vinyl seats, easy cleanup.
    Last edited by DigitalBoy0101; 09-18-2009 at 07:39 AM.

'02 Avalanche 1500 Z-71, BFG All-Terrains, K&N FIPK, Superchips tuner (Nelson eventually), 750-watt Alpine stereo W/ JL midgate Stealthbox.

Mustang

My '88 Mustang GT. Been sitting in my garage ever since I left for Iraq in '04. I did something simple to it so it wouldn't start while I was gone, and by the time I came back home I forgot what I did to it LOL. I just haven't gotten my lazy butt out to the garage to tinker with it.

Can't see the hood very well, but it's a functional ram-air hood with a 2 1/2" cowl.

Bad shot of engine bay. The weird thing to the left of the radiator hose is the air box for the ram-air hood.

Been sitting so long my tires are flat. Probably ruined.

Rear hatch with (L->R) battery box, my race box, and NOS bottle.

Headlight covers I used to put on for shows.

Roll bar and safety harness.

+ Reply to Thread