+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LS1 in a '81 GMC

I'm looking into swapping my LS1 and auto tranny from my wrecked camaro into my '81 GMC step side. Never done an engine swap before and i was wonder how difficult it would be and what kind of fabrications i would need to do to complete everything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome! I can help you out. I used some adapter plates to mate the engine mounts. The rest is not to bad. You will need to install an electric fuel pump and do some wireing. I used the electric cooling fand from the camaro to cool the radiator. I had to modify the passenger side engine mounts and exhaust manafold but if you don't want AC then the swap is quite a bit easier. This how mine went. http://forum.ls1truck.com/index.php?showtopic=289
    2006 Superior Blue Trailblazer SS AWD, Stock as a rock

Sold: 2002 GMC Sportside Denali front end with a 2002 LS1, FLT level 5, Yank 2600, Trick Turbo, T76, Nelson intercooler, 60LB injectors, Warbro fuel pump, Eaton locker, Magnaflow, 3.42, Nelson Performance Tuning (speed density).

Sold: 1981 GMC LB RC 1500 2002 4.8L 4L60E 12 bolt 3.73 Richmond Lock Right AC PS Nelson Performance tuning

can he use the S&P Plates for the mounts?
    Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

Hey dont forget to see me for your wiring

i have the pcm from the camaro, what kind of wiring would i need?

We can do this 2 ways. #1 I can set you up with a 4 wire hook up (power, ignition, fuel pump and starter) the rest of the wiring in the truck will be finished by you. #2 you can send me the firewall bulkhead connector from the 81, i will graft this portion of the truck wiring to the camaro harness (charging system, gauges, A/C, ignition and starter will be wired)

Price for #1 $300
    Includes:
    Fan relays
    A/C request
    Rear O2 simulators

Price for #2 $450
    Includes:
    Same as above + grafting

thanks for the info dynatech. I'll definately give you a buzz when i'm ready to swap everything in.

hey david, was there any engine damage in the wreck? you really did smack the hell out of that tree.

and dynatech...i still need a tracking number. i'm back in pensacola and im ready to get the truck running.

Originally posted by RedSpeck_09@Dec 13 2003, 10:14 PM
    i'm back in pensacola and im ready to get the truck running.
    pppppffffftttttttt. ha ah ah ah aha hahahaa ha ah ahahahahah

Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

+ Reply to Thread