+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4.3 to ls1..need some pointers

Ok i have a 97 fullsize chevy single cab with a 4.3 in it and auto tranny. My truck has a 42k miles on it, but its just to damn slow. My buddy found me a ls1 with an auto tranny for a very reasonable price. now after i get the motor wut should i purchase, where is the best place to purchase it and what should i expect to pay? also how long should i expect the swap to take. One other thing my truck is bagged and body dropped so i cant have long tube headers or they will hit the ground. so wut is a good shorty header??

Any pics would help also

Thanks Ryan

Piece of cake. The only major mod on this is the motor mounts, if you are a good faby of you know one it should be pretty easy. The factory exaust on the LS1 os a good choise if you are looking to clear the ground.
    Here are some things to think about and may give you an idea on how long it is going to take you.
    A/C (pump clearance)
    Fans (electric)
    Single line fuel rail
    Gauges (factory or aftermarket)
    Wiring
    Intake ducting
    Motor mounts
    coolant hoses
    Smog equipment (if you need it)

That's a good start on what to think about, once you're done, you'll love it, the ls1 is the best engine ever made, hahahah

good luck on the project,

allen

You got any pics of you truck, sounds pretty cool, 22's

check out allens pics at http://fatallen.big-unit.com/ls1truck/pics...cpage/index.htm
    hope it goes good on your swap, ive got basically the same truck as you cept mines a 96, i wanna do the swap in the next year or so.

well i htink im going with a 5.3 or 6.0 just gonna slap a few things on it, i can build it after wards little by little, i just need something to keep me steady when im draggin at 100mph

http://www.streetsourcemag.com/IM/ViewUser...stable+Altitude
    you can look at that, it has a link for my truck the silver one, my stepdads truck the blue and the old project truck that got wrecked

Why not an LS1?
    5.3 and 6.0 are the same as the LS1 when it comes to building motor mounts and wiring.

i was hoping to do the hole swap for under 3 grand but not sure thats gonna work

You're gonna spend more than that on the swap, add about 1500 to 2K to that and you're set. Come on, that's only a few more hours of work lol. jk

The 5.3 would def. keep you under budget, but the trans, wiring, and fabricating may push you over 3K.
    I just tuned this guys 5.3L that went in a 95 4x4 chevy, and that's all he wanted, something to get around and a nice replacement to his older TBI 5.7. There's nothing wrong with the 5.3L, but if you're looking for power, get the 6L or LS1

good luck

So what's up on your decision, I think any route is going to produce great results, but we all wanna see you put that 6L in there,

good luck on the decision,

allen

+ Reply to Thread