+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6.0 into a 2000 Gmc 4x4

6.0 into a 2000 Gmc 4x4

I have been throwing around the idea here lately about putting a 6.0 in my 2000 Sierra
    4x4. Currently it has a 5.3 with a 4L60e. How hard would it be to do that swap? Would I be better swapping the 4L60 for a 4L80? I want it to have some power just not ungodly, maybe keep it about 400hp. I know im not going to get any fuel milage as it is since there is 10 inches of lift under it anyways. I just want a reliable truck that can work around the farm and tow a few things here and there. Let me know your ideas please and point me in the right direction.
    2000 GMC Sierra 4x4

Doing a swap for your vehicle would be alot easier than it was for mine. If your swap engine is close enough in year of manufacture to the original engine, it may be a simple matter of plug and play. That depends on keeping the original trans and reflashing your original PCM or getting one for the 6.0..

The 4L80E is the heavier duty trans and is longer than the 4l60/65E. The 4L60/65E may hold up behind the 6.0, but with the lift and bigger tires, and the fact that you will be hauling with it, you may just want to go with the 4L80E. That would mean swapping driveshafts from a donor vehicle or having the front shaft lengthened and the rear shaft shortened. Also have to consider trans/transfer case yokes since they are different. Just a few things to think about. I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me or add some things that I have missed. Good luck!!!!!
    Last edited by Mickeymotormount; 07-28-2013 at 05:11 PM.
    '93 Chevy 1500 4X4 ECLB with a '99 Silverado LQ4 6.0 and '99 Escalade 4L60E. SOLD IT!!

New toy: 2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended Cab Long Bed

John

+ Reply to Thread