+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ls1 swap or sts turbo...

Hi all. I haven't even purchased a truck yet so this is really more food for thought and groundwork for plans. Anyhow, I am looking into purchasing a chevy 1/2 ton ex-cab pickup and would like to hear (err...read) some of your thoughts. I am at the point where I actually need a truck for work (I run a trucking company and it is mighty hard to pick up some parts in the trunk of my lincoln.) I am a car nut to the Nth degree and I like the chevy truck b/c of the wealth of aftermarket componentry available for it. I also think it's just a sharp truck and, now that higher mileage NBS are plentiful (i.e. cheap), I'd like to buy one. I have managed to go without extensively tinkering with my personal vehicles for long enough, so this one will recieve some attention. I would like to get between 350 and 400 rwhp and at least 400-450 rwtq in the least expensive, most reliable manner. I've read about LS1 swaps (which seem to be fairly straightforward) and various power adders, but I've been down the supercharger route before and if I'm going to huff the motor I'd like to do something different this time, e.g. the sts turbo kit. Unfortunately, gas mileage is a concern (I drive 600-1000 miles a week), so I have to be a little careful. I have also considered a gear vendors overdrive unit to help out with this, but I really can't afford to dip below 20 mpg (cuttin' close, I know). I could care less about aesthetics, but I'm certain there has to be a feasible way to do this (path of least resistance, if you know what I mean.) Any thoughts?
    Slomaro

Go with the STS kit I have one on my Silverado SS with the 6.0 and it will get up on it. As for fuel economy yot will gain 1-2 MPG at cruise as I have and you will do even better with a Nelson tune.

Really go with the STS you won't regret it

ssblackss
    http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/up...photo-3992.jpg
    '03 silverado SS, STS turbo, GT67, 8lbs boost, Alky-Control PAC methanol Injection system, 282's, 160 stat, Nelson Performance tune, Jag specialities custom shift kit with Billet parts, Mcgaughys 2/3.5 drop, on 22's.

YEAH I HAVE HEARD SOME GOOD THINGS ON THIS KIT.FROM WHAT I HAVE READ IT LOOKS STRAIGHT FORWARD AND WIT THE RITE TUNING [NELSON] YOU CAN GET A GOOD HP,TQ GAIN.JUST MY .02
    JOHN

both?
    Hugger Orange 99 SS Hardtop #756
    485rwhp/440rwtq SAE

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j301/slmdls1/Signatures/hugger-prostar-sig.jpg

Since I sell the STS, I say go with the turbo. I have the kit on my '02 Formula which is stock and it makes 412/451 at just 5psi. Its a great kit and easy to install.
    '92 GMC reg. cab, step side. 7.32@ 92.3. SOLD
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...d700c6401f.htm
    New project: '00 S-10 ext. cab, ZQ8, 370, T-56, daily driver.

does anyone have a link to a site for that turbo i searched and came up with nothing

www.ststurbo.com

go over to the ls1.com site and there are some threads that give good info on the sts kit. Look at the one that says "holy crap just installed sts"
    2005 ECSB 5.3

+ Reply to Thread