+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STS snorkle ? restricting air flow?

STS snorkle ? restricting air flow?

i think my STS snorkle with the outerwear is restricting my air flow and wanting to know if its doing any harm to my engine as far as maybe running lean? it runs 100 times better when i attach my other filter directly to the turbos compressor. people say you gain Hp with the snorkle setup due to pulling in cool air but for me its a very big loss .

just chenged my turbo also, the old garret t60 had a 3inch compressor intake and the snorkle hose was also a 3inch, never had this issue , but i also always ran the snorkle setup.

my new turbonetics 60-1 has a 4 inch compressor intake, so i purchased a 4inch to 3 inch reducer and attach this when i need to use the snorkle for bad weather and it runs no were near as it does when i just hook up the filter direct. could this be bad or the reason from the reducer going from 4inch to a 3 inch reducer and snorkle hose???
    06 silverado crew cab 4.8L
    STS Kit W/turbonetics BB 60-1 .81AR T4 and intercooler 10psi
    Nelson custom tune
    built 4L60E-hopefully it lasts
    2500 stall-Hughes converters
    42LB injectors
    3.5 Magnaflow exhuast
    6inch lift on 35x12.50s

I've never used the snorkel on mine and I've never had a problem, even in the rain - then again I'm lowered so that might help keep the water out. I would think that your snorkel would make you run rich if anything. I figure the turbo might be starving for air with a big tube in front of the compressor inlet.

~ Forged engine of some type ~ Ball bearing turbo of an unconfirmed size ~ 4L8000 trans ~ Beefy fuel system ~

yea me being lifted is a necessity for the snorkle kit, my tires fling water everywhere. only takes me 1 min to swap out the filters, if its dry i run my straight filter, but if its gonna rain i just connect the snorkle. talked to turbochargers.com and they told me it wont hurt anything its just going to give a horrible spool time due to restricting the flow. i dont know how many cfm the sts air filter is, maybe if i find a high cfm filter it will help a little bit more for the snorkle .
    Nelson custom tune
    42LB injectors
    3.5 Magnaflow exhuast
    6inch lift on 35x12.50s

When I ran the sts kit, I never used the snorkel or filter sock. Allen did sd tune my truck, never had a problem sucking in moisture. You may want to go that route.

i will be seeing allen on the 20th (next tues) gonna let hom work his magic for a live tune. only thing on my kit is the piping is slightly shorter so the turbo filter is directly in the middle of the cab and bed space so the water would just fall right on it if it were raining, i could just extend it forward a little....but we will see.
    Nelson custom tune
    42LB injectors
    3.5 Magnaflow exhuast
    6inch lift on 35x12.50s

just a update , my gas milage has increased greatly just by running the direct filter Vs. the snorkle setup. think i went from 10Mpg to 12 or 13 Mpg .STS needs to update there information on the snorkle setup increasing mpg.
    i did alot of towing this week also and it still is better mpg then just normal driving no towing with the snorkle setup. i think the worse MPG ive had was 8.4MPG towing a 6x14 enclosed trailer with atvs in it lol, gotta love v8s
    Nelson custom tune
    42LB injectors
    3.5 Magnaflow exhuast
    6inch lift on 35x12.50s

+ Reply to Thread