+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Trans issue again

Trans issue again

Ok I'm taking all advice on this, it's getting old and expensive, factory trans went out 3/4 clutch pack, so I replaced it with a rebuilt trans from a salvage yard. 3 months later the 3/4 clutch pack went out again. ( hard shifts between gears) it barked 2nd at 2000 rpm 20mph. I rebuilt the original trans( all new clutches, Kevlar 3/4, beast sun she'll, new drum with wide band, all new seals from GM, 03 valve body, all new accumulator pistons, boost valve, vette servo. Trans runs great, little firm going in 3rd but not bad. Today it starts shifting hard, enuff to shake the dash at 10 mph. I replaced the MAF when the trans was out, it was bad. All other sensors under the hood check out good. The truck is a 2000 z-71. 5.3l, cold air, exhaust, TB spacer, Nelson mid grade tune, 410 rear, 33in tires. Any1 have any ideas? I got 600 in parts on this trans an can't afford to burn it up. Also in 4th driving at 55 on it feels like it has a slight slip, as with the other 2 trans. Not bad but if u give it a lol gas the tack jumps 300 ur so rpm b4 it starts to pull

Quote Originally Posted by bootlife View Post
    Ok I'm taking all advice on this, it's getting old and expensive, factory trans went out 3/4 clutch pack, so I replaced it with a rebuilt trans from a salvage yard. 3 months later the 3/4 clutch pack went out again. ( hard shifts between gears) it barked 2nd at 2000 rpm 20mph. I rebuilt the original trans( all new clutches, Kevlar 3/4, beast sun she'll, new drum with wide band, all new seals from GM, 03 valve body, all new accumulator pistons, boost valve, vette servo. Trans runs great, little firm going in 3rd but not bad. Today it starts shifting hard, enuff to shake the dash at 10 mph. I replaced the MAF when the trans was out, it was bad. All other sensors under the hood check out good. The truck is a 2000 z-71. 5.3l, cold air, exhaust, TB spacer, Nelson mid grade tune, 410 rear, 33in tires. Any1 have any ideas? I got 600 in parts on this trans an can't afford to burn it up. Also in 4th driving at 55 on it feels like it has a slight slip, as with the other 2 trans. Not bad but if u give it a lol gas the tack jumps 300 ur so rpm b4 it starts to pull
    Sounds to me like the servo release check ball is bad bleeding the 3-4 line pressure outa the servo bore. Its the checkball under the valvebody down in the case leading to the servo bore. Here is the part to fix ur problem. Simple install. Just drop valvebody. And install via instructions. Part is sonnax 77701-076. This prevents servo cross leaking for 3-4. Hope helps. Drill holes as according to instructions.

Ok thanks, will that cause it to shift hard from first to second?

Ok thanks, will that cause it to shift hard from first to second?
    Your TCC circuit could be worn, sometimes this throws a 1870 code, but not always, this should go in every build, helps keep trans cooler and prolong converter clutch life. My girlfriends 2000 V6 4l60e did this ...BANG on the 1-2 shift and on the highway would randomly go in and out of 3rd/4th gear....On Her 187,000 mile 60E I replaced this single part...fluid was burnt....I did not do a rebuild, just dropped valvebody and re-installed with a/c delco trans filter....INSTANTLY the 1-2 was smooth, and it would now stay in 4th gear lockup on the highway

make sure to post up after this fixes it ;-)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-TCC-Re...37dc64&vxp=mtr

Ok thanks, I just checked I do have an 1870 code, it didn't trigger the check light tho. Fluid is starting to burn to, there's only about 80miles on the fluid.

Ok thanks, I just checked I do have an 1870 code, it didn't trigger the check light tho. Fluid is starting to burn to, there's only about 80miles on the fluid.
    I was re-reading your first post you will need that same TCC valve I sent you but make sure its for a 2003 year...(you have 03 valvebody right?

Make sure to get that valve in there asap..If you absolutely need to drive the truck keep it in (3) position...don't let it go into OD,

OH and at 187,000 miles on the V6 transmission i did...It now has 206,000 miles.

I would install this valve in ANY 60E no matter if its having this issue or not.
    Last edited by ls1ram; 01-14-2013 at 11:19 AM.

So the tcc is causing the converter to slip and burn the 3/4 clutch? Just making sure I understand wat is going on

So the tcc is causing the converter to slip and burn the 3/4 clutch? Just making sure I understand wat is going on
    The TCC bore gets worn, causes the converter clutch to slip....The computer tries to compensate by increasing line pressure...this is where your 1-2 bang comes from...The extra heat contributes to 3-4 failure....Also when the converter slips the material can spread out under the 3-4 clutch apply piston, this reduces apply area....If you catch it soon enough you can salvage the situation...

I hope I can save this 1, I hate to have just thrown all this money away

I'm replacing the TCC, but for some1 with a higher IQ than me, is it possible that since the same problem occurred on 2 transmissions in this truck that it can be caused by something else, like wireing or computer sending wrong info to the TCC? It can be and I hope it is an 18 dollar part, but I wanna cover all my bases

+ Reply to Thread