+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Head and Piston carnage!!!

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by AFSP1211 View Post
    How good of a deal are we talkin about?
    6.0 GM Iron Block
    4.000 Stroke 4340 Steel Crankshaft (24x or 58x)
    Callies or Eagle 6.125 4340 H-Beam Rods
    Mahle -4cc LS1/L92 2618 Pistons (10.9 to 1 w/ 70cc)
    Mahle piston ring set
    Clevite Race Main Bearings
    Clevite Race Rod Bearings
    Federal Mogul 1888M Cam Bearings
    ARP 234-5608 LS1 Main Studs
    GM Factory Side Bolts and Plugs Installed
    Fully Machined Block w/Deck Plates
    Square and Parallel Decks
    Balance Rotating Assembly
    Blueprint and Assembly of Short Block

    under$3800

    MY TRUCK IS A HYBRID!!! IT BURNS GAS AND RUBBER....
    2011 GMC CCSB
    Flaco Tune, CAI, Muffler
    13.8 @100
    340hp 352tq

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Posts
    1,316
    If I had $3800 I'd prob build my own 427. I just don't have that type of coin to spend right now. 3800 not bad for a 408 though. I'm trying to stay right around a Grand.
    On another note, I got the block pulled today. It DID NOT want to come away from the trans. Kept second guessing myself about getting all the bolts. Turns out I got them all but it was just being stubborn. Tomorrow I have two hours between the time I get off work until my wife has to go to work. Gonna see if I can get it disassembled in under two hours.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    yea those dowel pins can be your friend and your enemy at the same time. Just take your time disassembling everything and have lots of room to lay parts out in order. Also take a lot of pics for us!

    04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by AFSP1211 View Post
    If I had $3800 I'd prob build my own 427. I just don't have that type of coin to spend right now. 3800 not bad for a 408 though. I'm trying to stay right around a Grand.

    .
    That's cool,that's a fully forged motor too. So have u made any decisions on what your going to do?

    MY TRUCK IS A HYBRID!!! IT BURNS GAS AND RUBBER....
    2011 GMC CCSB
    Flaco Tune, CAI, Muffler
    13.8 @100
    340hp 352tq

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
    yea those dowel pins can be your friend and your enemy at the same time. Just take your time disassembling everything and have lots of room to lay parts out in order. Also take a lot of pics for us!
    Defiantly will do. Gotta get some batteries for the camera.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by BrutalSierra View Post
    That's cool,that's a fully forged motor too. So have u made any decisions on what your going to do?
    Not 100% sure yet. I don't think my cylinder wall is to jacked so I might just bore it to 3.905 and get some forged pistons. Something with high compression. My dreams of a turbo are on hold for quite a while so I'm wanting to get as much HP as possible NA. One thing that has me worried is a nasty groove in my #1 cylinder (will get pics tomorrow) looking into the cylinder it's at the 6 o'clock position. (common?) if I go that route im looking at $200 for the bore and hone, then about 750 for a piston set with rings and pins. Also gotta get some cheapish heads for now just not sure which so I'm setting aside $200 for those unless I can find some 799's or 243's that already have decent springs for under 500. So far, those are my thoughts. Any suggestions?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    That all sounds good. Hopefully that cylinder isn't too far gone. You may want to pic up some rods to and have a nice piece of mind. Checkout speed Inc. They are having a black Friday sale and are great guys to wok with

    04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
    That all sounds good. Hopefully that cylinder isn't too far gone. You may want to pic up some rods to and have a nice piece of mind. Checkout speed Inc. They are having a black Friday sale and are great guys to wok with
    Turns out the #8 cylinder with the shattered piston wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. One small ding in the wall. Other cylinder that has me a little worried is #2. Has a vertical groove at the 6 o'clock position. Not sure what caused it though. These were the best pics I could get with my phone. All other walls look good. What do ya'll think I should do about this?

    photo.jpg image.jpg

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    houston tx
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by AFSP1211 View Post
    Turns out the #8 cylinder with the shattered piston wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. One small ding in the wall. Other cylinder that has me a little worried is #2. Has a vertical groove at the 6 o'clock position. Not sure what caused it though. These were the best pics I could get with my phone. All other walls look good. What do ya'll think I should do about this?

    Attachment 5593 Attachment 5594
    a good hone will take care of all that

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Posts
    1,316
    Quote Originally Posted by kha4079 View Post
    a good hone will take care of all that
    I'm pretty sure it's going to take slightly more than a hone but I wont know for sure until I take it to the machine shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts