+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Head and Piston carnage!!!

I also had good luck with my 918s in my 02 Camaro. Idk what springs my buddy had in his Camaro when one broke but it broke into 3 pieces just like yours did. From the symptoms u would never think a broken spring but it was. He was luckier though BC we found it before any real damage happened. The valve kissed the piston so I pulled the head off and put a new valve in and some dual springs and it was good to go. I honestly think they were stockers so maybe yours are too

04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

well. I think I'm going to go with a 6.0. just depends on what I can find one for. Also considering going with a 383.

6.0 sounds good. But if you are going to shell out the coin for a 383, might as well do a 408 with a 6.0 block

04 RCSB 5.3, Homemade 80mm FM, TU1, TH400

918's = BOOm , have you all noticed most of the 918's break in 3 pieces..

i scattered a 410 using comp springs, though they were the double 921 springs it was a costly break, actually broke 2 springs and broke a valve, distroyed a piston and cylinder, along with a head wasnt nothing nice, id start looking into some PRC or even PAC double springs, even with a small cam!

good luck on the next go round hope all works out for ya !
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

years ago comp cams made some good 918 springs, then a couple years ago something changed and they started breaking, lately i haven't heard of any breaking.
    call comp and see what they say.

I hate these threads. I have 35,000 miles on my 918's with the same cam over the last 4 years almost 5. These threads make me so nervous.
    2002 Under Construction Again!

it's probably time to change the springs; they get weak just any other wearable item.
    Lunati's single spring is still using the same manufacturer from years ago and I haven't had a set break from them.
    Look into Lunati's Dual Gold spring kit also, comes with everything, Lunati's answer to Patriot Gold's.

This thread makes me VERY happy I went with Patriot Extremes.

Good luck getting it all straightened out man. Hope you get it back on the black top asap.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

All points well noted. Guy I bought the truck from installed the cam at 25k miles. It's right above 44k now. I drive it hard but it's hard to believe that these lasted less than 20k miles. Y'all sure these are the 918's? Rods were comp 7.425's so I'd like to think the springs were changed too. Almost done pullin the engine, 4 more bell housing bolts and it's ready to yank. Crappy thing is, none of my "friends" were willing to help so I've been doing EVERYTHING by myself. Tomorrow after work I'm gonna finish pulling it and start disassembling the block.

+ Reply to Thread