+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Video; What's Legal?

Exclamation Mobile Video; What's Legal?

Copied from another forum where I moderate the "Truck Audio" section.

Lately, I'm seeing people (not just on here) who want to bypass critical safety features that are built into their equipment.

What you have to understand about this subject is that it is a very sensitive one for me, probably more so than other people, so here's so education for those of you who are thinking about bypassing certain features...

DigitalTips: State Laws

Quote Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code

27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television
    receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any
    other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or
    video signal that produces entertainment or business applications,
    is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward
    of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the
    driver while driving the motor vehicle.
    (b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when
    installed in a vehicle:
    (1) A vehicle information display.
    (2) A global positioning display.
    (3) A mapping display.
    (4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's
    view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the
    purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.
    (5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video
    screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a
    television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment has an
    interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the
    equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in
    paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Federal Law

SENATE BILL 209

SENATE AUTHOR: Carona

EFFECTIVE: 9-1-03

HOUSE SPONSOR: Davis, Yvonne

Senate Bill 209 amends the Transportation Code to add digital video disc players and videocassette players to the devices that can be used in a motor vehicle only if the equipment is located so that the video screen is not visible from the operator's seat. The list of exceptions to this provision is expanded to include equipment that is used exclusively for monitoring the performance of equipment installed on a vehicle used for safety purposes in connection with the operations of a natural gas, water, or electric utility.
    I also want you to know that it is a $50,000 fine for the shop for bypassing the built-in safety features in these devices.

So, you have been warned. I've done the research so you don't have to.

In conclusion, don't try and bypass the safety features. They are there for your safety and more importantly the safety of those around you.

Matt

Do you have the information for Texas because that California bill does not apply to most of us.
    2004 EXC Silverado 6.2L
    Mods:
    6.2L L92, Ported and Polished stage 3 heads, 95mm Throttle Body, 100mm MAF, NA, Pacesetter LT Headers, Magnaflow X-Pipe Muffler, Electric Fans, 160* thermostat, 2" Drop Shackles, Hellwig Sway Bars Front and Rear, Monroe Reflex Shocks, NGK Spark Plugs, AMW Oil Catch Can, 17"x10" wheels on Kuhmo Tires.

WOOOOO Texas Rules
    Name: Mark,
    God created turbo lag so nitrous trucks could have a chance.

http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post274877

I think as long as its not moving picture your fine in Texas.

so hit the pause button when getting pulled over lol

96 c1500, stock suspension, stock bottom end, 93 octane, street radial- 1.60 11.5 at 115- on the small stage-sold
    05 SSS 2wd 228/230/80e/fti4k/5,5drop/215shot-sold
    90 350ss... beast build

The link at the top will take you to a site that has each state's own laws.

Here it is again just for fun: DigitalTips: State Laws

EDIT: Sorry guys, Texas just isn't as cool as you once thought...

Its like that in every state. The police around here are cool as long as there is not a moving picture. My friend has been stopped twice because of his screen and both times they told him it was fine because it was only displaying the song information. It really depends on the cops mood and if he has to fill quota.

Louisiana

Ban on Texting While Driving
    Restrictions on Cell Phone Use for Novice Drivers
    Video Screen Restriction

Law: Prohibits text messaging by all drivers and the use of cell phones by novice drivers.
    Statute: Act 665 & 666
    Penalties: The first violation shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $175. Each subsequent violation shall be punishable by a fine of not more than $500. If the person is involved in a crash at the time of violation, then the fine shall be equal to double the amount of the standard fine imposed.

Law: Prohibits driving a motor vehicle with a television cable of receiving any prerecorded visual presentation unless the TV is behind the driver's seat or not visible to the driver while he or she is operating the vehicle.
    Statute: Louisiana Revised Statute 32:365
    Penalties: A violation shall be a misdemeanor, and upon conviction, punished by imprisonment for not more than ninety days, or by a fine not exceeding $500, or both, in the discretion of the court.

Man..... Louisiana sucks....
    5.3L, 4L60E, True Dual Exhaust, 40 Series Flowmasters, K&N Cold Air Intake, Nelson Performance PCM, 93 Octane, 0% TM, Ram Air Hood, 35" Pro Comp X-Terrain's, 18" Mazzi Sphinx Wheels. 3000 stall Yank, TCI clutches, Trans-go Shift Kit. Soon To Come:
    4.56's, Cam, PLT's

In my opinion if you can't watch a DVD you shouldn't be able to watch a GPS. A GPS still moves and talks, not different than a DVD except for the GPS is harder to see. PAC sells the modules for 29.00 to bypass or you can add toggle switches to do the same thing. You shouldn't be watching TV while you drive anyway unless in the back seat. I know the factory GM bybass modules run a little more but I see them all over the place.

97 GMC, 2002 LS6.

1991 GMC Syclone #1428

I posted this because I noticed that this section of the board is kind of in its infant stages and thought that something like this might help bring some traffic.

On a side note: I had a friend of mine get seriously injured in an accident where it is suspected that the driver was distracted while doing something involving his radio. It was later found out that the safety wires had been bypassed, allowing the unit to play video at all times. It was never determined that the driver watching a DVD was the cause, but I believe that it was the main reason.

+ Reply to Thread